Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ahhh Teachers, you will either work with us or...YOU WILL WORK WITH US!!!

So my precious little JKer's have homework on the weekend, they have to write out 1 letter of the alphabet a couple of times and then draw or cut and paste pictures that start with that letter, this is nothing new to them as we have been working on them all year, in therapy and at home.. Laurie or Steph, or Mommy and Daddy, draw/write the shape or letter and then it is the boys turn to try. John picked it up pretty quickly while Michael seems to have some coordination issues, as well as not knowing which hand he is more comfortable using... So its sunday afternoon and Aaron and I decide its a good time to do some homework, Aaron takes John and Michael is with me, what happened next both shocked and devistated me. I put the pencil in Michaels hand, and he put it to paper and just sat there, waiting, waiting for me to move his hand, he refused to even try on his own, I knew he was waiting for hand over hand and so I did a couple s' with him and told him it was his turn, and again he just sat there waiting for me to make his hand do what it was supposed to..this is not right, what happened to my boy who would try :(. So I wrote a note to the teacher asking her to follow up with the EA's and let them know that they have to insist he at least try, even if it doesnt look like much at the start, he will get the hang of it, but he has to try. The response was that he was incapable of focusing and the only way to get the letters done is with the hand over hand technique, This did not sit well with me at all, I mean is that how his whole life is going to be? with people doing things for him...well NO I say NO WAY!!! so again I wrote a note explaining again that he has always been willing to try in the past, and that I dont want that to ever change. This morning only one day after my last note, Michael was playing with his etch a sketch, and would you believe he can print every letter of his name!!! Yes, he totally can, might not be in one line or in order yet, but he tried and he can...oh what a proud moment...yes friends I did get a bit teary, but they didnt over flow!! Parents reading this, I must say again and again, YOU ARE YOUR CHILDS VOICE, especially for those who have communication issues, and if you dont speak up on their behalf then they will fall through the cracks. Speak up and Be heard, its the best thing you can do for your child. I even went so far as to take a video of Michael printing the letters of his name, and I can not wait to show his teacher and EA, not to rub it in, but to show them that Michael needs much encouragement to try on his own, and he will surprise them. Over all it was a pretty good day, I kept the kids busy after school by showing them pictures of their friends on facebook, then supper and bed, minimal screaming, fighting, crying etc... One day at a time...Lets see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment